This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It takes me literally 5 minutes to throw together. It is inexpensive, quick, nutritious and so delicious. Anyone who tastes it, asks for the recipe – you know that’s a keeper!
I use an immersion blender which cuts prep and clean up time. In fact, I strongly recommend an immersion blender in every kitchen for super quick soup blending.
BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1 Tsp. veg. oil
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp – 1Tbsp. adobo sauce from the chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (save unused for your next batch!)
- 3 – (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2-1 fresh lime, squeezed
- 1-2 Tbsp Pickled jalapeno juice and sliced or diced jalapeno, as per your preference
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in water, adobo sauce, beans, and salsa. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute.
- Use immersion blender directly in soup pot OR Place 3 cups of black bean mixture in blender, process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in lime juice, simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.
Garnish: sour cream or plain yogurt, shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, splash of Cholula, avocado, a few tortillas dipped directly into the soup .
Yields 4 servings (1 1/4c. serving size)